Saturday, May 29, 2010

four times the potato, salad

Do you ever look at a potato and think - wow that's a gorgeous starch? I do. Its strange, but once I realised I could no longer indulge in the wheat filled world, I started to see things differently. New eyes perhaps? The gluten haze had drifted away? The multi-use of a potato, the variety of ways quinoa can be utilized in meals and how rice can virtually be used in everything (chip, pasta, flour and even vinegar).

I digress...Back to the potato. There are truly so many varieties out there. The classic russet, the new, the red, the purple and of course the creme de la creme: the fingerling. I'm very lucky because at my local market they tend to have all of these. At once and in abundence. I purchased just over a handful of each and brought them home. Still not certain of how their fate would end.
 
A friend of mine, happened to call and invite me over to watch a game and I figured this would be a great chance to make something with these beauties. Knowing I was going to be watching sports I decided to try a modernized potato salad. It was a success and has been requested twice since. 
Hope you enjoy!

Roasted Potato Salad with Asparagus

Approximately 3 lbs of potatoes, sliced in half (I used red, white, yukon, purple and red and white fingerlings)
A large bunch of asparagus, chopped to about 3 inches long
Rosemary, fresh but if you don't have fresh - dried works
3 cloves of garlic
Salt & Pepper 

Turn oven to 400 degrees.
Toss potatoes with crushed garlic, rosemary, olive oil and s&p. Pour tossed potatoes onto cookie sheet and throw into the over for an hour. 

After45 minutes or so add the aspargus in for a quick cook. Everything looks nice and roasted, remove from oven and let cool.

Dressing:
1/4 cup of dijon mustard
1/4 cup pesto
1/2 cup of mayonnaise
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
3 tbsp white balsamic (if no white on hand use the orginal)
 s&p to taste


2 tbsp  freshly grated parmesan cheese


Take cooled potatoes and asparagus and toss with dressing in large bowl. Once the potatoes are nicely coated, sprinkle parm on top. Refrigerate for a few hours before serving if time permits.

No comments:

Post a Comment