Wednesday, June 2, 2010

raspberry chocolate chip muffins, gluten free and a touch of blue rinse

I picked up some (unfortunately not so local) raspberries. To buy local would have been ideal but the option of that while walking home was slim to none. 

After a thoughtful stare and a quick rinse I decided to bake some muffins. I had made a few batches on the weekend with banana's, quinoa and walnuts. Pretty ordinary but really good. So with a quick change to the receipe I set out to bake a quick batch of Raspberry Chocolate Chip Muffins.

I usually use smashed up banana to help with the moisture (as I am sure you know ... gluten free can be really dry) but I went to open the freezer and realised my supply of over ripe banana's was out. Dang! To the plain yogurt I went.  After a quick mix of the dry ingredients and the incorporation of wet I added the raspberries. I will advise the error(s) now that I made: 1/ talking on the phone whilst baking 2/ over mixing while one talks on the phone. 

Bad move. 

The muffins seemed to turn a hint of blue. Like Florida granny hair blue. I've accepted it and am slowly moving on but I have taken a mental note and will not over stir when adding a berry to a muffin batter. I will not. I can also not commit to not talking one the phone but I will due my best to be more cognizant of when stirring.  Or if I do I will suffer the grey rinse sheen that over takes the mix. You can still see the soft red peaking out but once cut in half - the blue definitly appears. Either way, they turned out pretty tasty.  And really that's all that matters, right?

Raspberry Chocolate Chip Muffins, gluten free

1 1/2 cup amaranth flour
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/4 tapioca starch
1/4 rice flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp xanthum gum

1 egg 
1 cup sugar
1 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cooking oil

1 cup of fresh raspberries
1/2 chocolate chips, gluten free

Heat oven to 350 degrees

Lightly whisk together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl mix together egg, sugar, plain yogurt, oil. Slowly fold dry ingredients into the wet mixture. After fully mixed -- slowly add in raspberries and chocolate chips.

Scoop into muffins cups and cook for 20 - 22 minutes.


Enjoy the granny blue muffins!

No comments:

Post a Comment