Monday, February 8, 2010

miso chicken

Miso Chicken, GF

I thought for a month + I couldn't have anything soy or soy infused. Then I got over it and bought tamari.

I was out for dinner a while ago at Sandbar and I wanted everything that was with a Miso sauce. Maybe you just want what you can't have? I couldn't order it because it had the soy. The damn soy that everyone uses to flavour. Why can't our world just switch to gf tamari or braggs?

I decided to make it for myself. How else was I going to enjoy it?

I was watching a cooking school lesson on pan frying from Rouxbe on the weekend. I decided, albeit slightly overwhelming when it came to the water check, to try. I've never cooked anything by pan frying. I have always thought it was unhealthy and scared of burning. It turned out so moist and delicious. It didn't burn. The chicken had a gorgeous brown colour and I used only 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and I didn't feel like it was as unhealthy as I had expected.

I wish I had made more.

Chicken breast
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil for pan frying
1 shallot
1 tbsp chopped ginger
1 individual package of miso paste (ensure to read the ingredients state no wheat) made to package instructions. Usually 3/4 or 1 cup of hot water.
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp soy sauce, gluten free
1 tsp sugar*
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar*
* Made to replace Mirin, which I have yet to find gluten free.

1/2 cup of water available to add if needed

Combine the miso water mixture, soy sauce and sesame oil.

The chicken:
Ensure chicken is dry by patting with paper towel.
Lightly season with salt and pepper
Pan fry chicken breast(s) - really this is a great way to learn and way easier to understand than having me explain. After cooking chicken, remove and let sit under a tinfoil tent.

I learnt a new word today. Sucs. I was watching the pan frying lesson and the instructor said "sucs". What? I watched and listened again... Sucs. I tried to google it: sooks, souks, soooks?

Nothing. I was so annoyed. I am not the best at spelling but come on! Google can't even help me. I went back to the website and did a bit of recipe investigation until I found this one. Sucs. Don't burn the freaking sucs.

Sucs is what is left in the frying pan after you pan fry. To make the miso sauce - I used the sucs of the pan left from cooking the chicken.

Chop the shallot and ginger and add to the pan after the chicken is removed and left to sit. Saute for 1 minute. Add the miso mixture. Allow to reduce. After tasting I added more water as I wanted it to be a bit more diluted. After reduction takes place, add the mirin like concoction and continue to simmer for a few more minutes.

Spoon miso sauce over chicken.

I served it with Yukon Gold Potatoes, Asparagus and Carrots!

Gluten free miso sauce deliciousness!

2 comments:

  1. CydVish ~ This looks sensashe! I can't wait to try it this one out and all the others to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, way to go Cyd, this looks incredible. I'm definately a follower of your blog now!!

    ReplyDelete