Sunday, February 14, 2010

a chocolatey crinkle, gluten free

I love to bake. I know I mentioned that before - but I really do.  I am THAT person who starts baking for Christmas in November and does it every weekend prior to ensure there is enough to give out to all friends. I love creating cookies and I also love traditional recipes. I have only recently started to bake again. I found it extremely overwhelming with the crazy flours and the quantities of them within a single recipe. It seemed too much. Why do we need to use 3 types of flours to make a simple (yet soo complicated) cookie?

With the addition of xanthum gum to my pantry, I attempted.

It didn't go too well. The first cookie recipe I made ended up turning into muffin-top-like cookies. They were delicious but soft and essentially a muffin mix and when I spooned them onto the cookies sheet -  it became a big mess. Since then, I have officially bought into the use of the multiple flours. It is expensive but definitely worth the result.

Today, through the combination of a few recipes, I made Chocolate Crinkle Cookies.

They turned out great. I had a few friends drop by en-route to the LiveCity Yaletown and within minutes they were gone. They had no idea there was no "regular flour". A very successful baking adventure.

Chocolate Crinkle Cookies, Gluten Free

1 cup rice flour
1 cup tapicoa starch
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp xanthum gum
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Small bowl with sugar, for tossing the balls in

4 ounces dark chocolate, gluten free
1/4 vegetable oil or if you like a stronger oil, olive
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/4 cup plain yogurt or sour cream (sour cream will make them richer in taste)
1 tbsp vanilla
1 egg


Combine and mix together all dry ingredients. Melt chocolate in microwave, I tend to do 30 second intervals until fully melted. Set aside.

Mix together oil and sugar until fully combined. Add apple sauce, sour cream, vanilla and egg. Mix well.  Slowly pour in melted chocolate. Mix until it is fully combined.

Add dry mixture by 1/4 - 1/2 cup at a time. It will be sticky at the end and may seem a bit wet for a cookie dough... but as I mentioned before... patience.

Cover with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for 2 hours.

Set oven to 350 degrees F.

Form small balls (I like to use a tbsp to get even sized balls.
Toss in the bowl of sugar and place on either a non-stick cookie sheet or cover with a slip pat or parchment paper.

Cook for 10 minutes and then leave on the cookie sheet for an additional 10. They are a soft cookie and need to set before you life them off of the cookie sheet.


Warning! I find gluten free cookies dry out quickly! These are soft and uber tasty the day they baked but can go dry fast. Once they are cooled I put them in the freezer.

2 comments:

  1. Great pics S&S. Might I try one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just tried this (Thanks Cyd) and it's amazing! SOOO tasty!! Are there anymore :)

    ReplyDelete