Thursday, August 26, 2010

rhubarb bars - gluten free

I've been frequenting the farmers markets lately. Trying to get to them all. I've mentioned before the Eat Local organization that coordinate the Vancouver Farmers Markets. It has been a great experience. Waking up and walking out of my house on a Saturday or Sunday and buying eggs that were on the farm just that morning has been amazing. It really has expanded my knowledge of where my food has come from.

On the weekend my dad asked me to join him at what he referred to as Ladner Days. So, I woke up early, got into the car (which my friend had kindly let me borrow) and I drove to Ladner. I was excited to go to a town fair. I hadn't been to one in years. My dad and I walked to the town centre and what does the welcome sign say "August 21 Farmers Market". Not what I was expecting - but great nonetheless. In Vancouver I have gone to the Main Street market, the West End market and the Trout Lake market. None, compared to the Ladner Farmer's Market. The stands were of the local artisans and farmers who literally grew the vegetables and fruit down the road. I know - the day before (and only by chance and wrong reading of our GPS) as my friend and I went and bought blueberries in Ladner.

We walked around the many blocks of the market and I was amazed. SO may people came out and you could really see the community.

I didn't buy much but I saw that one person had rhubarb. I love rhubarb. Like love love rhubarb. Stewed rhubarb, rhubarb muffins, rhubarb pie and my new favourite Rhubarb Bars. It was perfect. I was going to a friend of mine's parents for dinner and I figured I could bring my new favourite dessert with what looked like the last of the season's rhubarb.

Back home I went.

I've made this recipe a few times this summer and think they are amazing.  I found them here but have adapted the recipe over the summer. I haven't met a person who doesn't fall in love with them. I warn you - they can look a bit sloppy and take a bit of time to prepare but they taste delicious and  are worth the time. Oh yeah, and they are gluten free!

Rhubarb Bars - Gluten Free

Heat oven to 350 degrees

About 8 to 10 stalks of rhubarb, chopped and tossed into a bowl with a sprinkle of sugar. After 5 minutes or so place into a pot and add water to just cover the bottom. Cook on low until it becomes stewed.... Let sit while you start the crust.

Crust:
1 1/2 cups sorghum flour
1/4 cup and 1 tbsp butter
1/4 granulated sugar
pinch of salt

Mix together butter and sugar in a mixer and blend for about 5 minutes. slowly add in the sorghum flour and salt. Press into a 9x5 dish baking dish and throw into the oven for the about 20 minutes.

While the crust is in the oven poor the strewed rhubarb into the blender and puree until it's smooth. You may want to add red colouring. I know, bad, but the colour just brightens a bit.

Now for the curd:
6 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
pinch of salt

1/4 cup butter chopped into pieces

Take a pot of boiling water and add a bowl on top (to act like a double boiler). add the egg yolks with the sugar and whisk for 5 to 8 minutes. It will become really think but you have to continue to ensure the egg doesn't cook. After 8 minutes add 1 and 1/4 cup of rhubarb puree. Continue mixing for an additional 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and add in chopped butter. Stir until butter is melted. 

Poor over crust and place in oven for about 10 to 12 minutes. 

Remove, let cool and serve. They are so good. I hope I haven't let this wait to late in the season for the rhubarb.

















No comments:

Post a Comment